Monday 7 November 2016

What is difference between NICOP and POC?



NICOP is an abbreviation for "National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis". It is issued to Pakistani citizens only. 

Whereas, POC means "Pakistan Origin Card" and it is issued to persons who were formerly Pakistani Citizens but later gave up their nationality. 

The benefits of having NICOP and POC are as follows: 
NICOP enables a person to apply for a Pakistani Machine Readable (MRP) Passport. Please note that while abroad CNIC is not sufficient to apply for MRP. In case of dual nationality, NICOP enables its holder to travel to Pakistan on other country's passport without Pakistani visa. All other privileges of Pakistani nationality while in Pakistan are also afforded to holders of NICOP like purchase of property, purchase of local mobile SIMs etc.

POC holders enjoy all benefits as NICOP holders except that they are not able to apply for Pakistani passports.(Because they are not consider as Pakistani nationals)

Pakistan allows dual citizenship only with the below countries
United Kingdom
Italy
France
Belgium
Iceland
Australia
New Zealand
Sweden
United States
Ireland
Netherlands
Switzerland
Canada
Egypt
Jordan
Syria

so people who have above citizenship can also keep their Pakistani citizenship and will make NICOP and they can keep 2 passports

If they have citizenship of any country which is NOT mentioned above have to lave Pakistani citizenship and will make POC if he needs to travel without visa to Pakistan

18 comments:

  1. How is it that many Pakistan's have other nationalist and they have got NICOP too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam pakistan please make an agreement with Spain that we can also enjoy dual nationality benefits THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salamat Pakistan ever please make dual nationaltiy agreement with the kingdom of bahrain that we also enjoy as a dual national thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a question. I was born in the US, and both my parents were born in Pakistan. Both are US citizens now and have NICOP cards. Also, my name is registered in the area in Pakistan that my parents are from. Should I apply for POC or NICOP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POC because you are NOT a Pakistani citizen.

      Delete
    2. Can I register a motorbike in Pakistan using on my name using the POC nadra card?

      Delete
    3. my three daughters are born in USA. I registered (birth registration) in Pakistan and applied NICOP. I have got NICOP for all my children. they are dual national. Bth Pakistani and American.

      Delete
    4. I think you can still apply for NICOP and hold dual Nationality. I would suggest NiCOP as it has better perks.

      Delete
  5. I'm born in UK, my parents are from Pakistan and but have British passports for 30 plus years but I visited Pakistan in 2009 and I made a nicop card and when I was back in UK I made a nadra card which enabled me visa free entry into pakistan for 10 years so next year it will expire so I intend to renew my nadra card, do I renew the card or make a new POC card? It's confusing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can a poc holder get credit facility from banks in pakistan?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello - I am a British Citizen but I recently got myself a CNIC card because I wanted Visa free travel to Pakistan. Both my parents are British / Pakistani dual nationals.

    Does this make me a Pakistani national?

    I don't think it does because a) I do not have a Pakistani passport, and b) you can't get a Pakistani passport with just a CNIC card if you live overseas, as you need a NICOP card first, I believe. I may be wrong?

    Also, I believe a CNIC card means that I can inherit property etc if my parents pass away. Is this true of a POC card?

    Also, if POC cards confer travel and property rights, what is the point of getting dual nationality? I have no intention of ever voting.

    I would really appreciate any assistance on this. I don't see where I can ask this question on the Pakistan High Commission website?

    Thanks so much in advance. Anon.



    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it! السياحة في طرابزون

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is Pakistani birth certificate requires for nicope???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I get NICOP with CNIC without Pakistani passport by having Canadian nationality online.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to apply for my son nicop but my husband has poc and the website is not accepting poc card number in citizen number column...can anybody help me plz

    ReplyDelete
  12. my husband is US citizen and i am pakistani can i apply for NICOP. THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete